Chain reaction of hydrogen and chlorine initiated by HeCd laser
Changes made to improve performance,
to reduce probability of destructive detonation.
For purposes of 20100730 eChem video, try to show acid gaseous product using pH paper wafted at the top of the tube. Tried, but not successful. Color change is rapid using basic fumes, but slow using acid fumes. Tried both wet and dry paper, Litmus and pH paper both were tried. Did not find blue litmus for the test.
- Reactant mixture includes helium.
He:H2:Cl2 = 4:8:8 (was 20:15:15) (unit is mm from top of tubing)
Note: (unit is inches from top of tubing)
8:6:6 mixture is difficult initiated and barely reacts
3:9:9 mixture is easily initiated, reacts with easily adequate loudness, and should be considered minimum in Helium
4:8:8 is recommended
- Plexiglass stopper plate and o-ring is replaced with
PARAFILM® "M" stretched slightly and use 3-4 layers.
- Arrange apparatus so that interior glass vacuum tube is off center and not
blocking the laser.
- tubing is quartz, i.d. is ____
- HeCd laser is approx. 90 mW at 442 nm